Just FYI, the whole "if players found community servers valuable, they
would be playing on them", isn't even remotely valid. If you owned a
popular restaurant, and the government came in and built an expressway that
bypassed that restaurant completely (and only your existing customers even
knew there was an off ramp somewhere to get to you), eventually you would
close your doors, and through no fault of your own.

Any and all perceived "problems" Valve might have had with community server
could be easily and quickplay fixed, simply by doing the following:

1. Make the client server-blacklisting system work across the board with
both the server browser AND quickplay.

2. Allow players to blacklist individual servers and/or whole groups of
servers that belong to a particular Steam ID (which would prevent them from
ever being re-connected to those servers/groups of servers).

3. After doing the above, default quickplay to "all" when using the "play
multiplayer" button (if they choose to continue to use that horrible design
choice) OR even better - break the buttons up as suggested in THIS
<http://i.imgur.com/tAmWXj6.png> UI design proposal.

That's it - that's all it would take.

Do that, and community servers would be self-policing (bad servers would
naturally be blacklisted over time), and players would be exposed again to
all options they have in terms of diversity and choice (something which is
slowly, but surely, being stamped out of the game).

There can be no question that the game experience is better in the
long-term on good community servers. Skill levels are higher, communication
is better, and teamwork actually exists on a regular basis. Members of the
TF2 team have admitted that themselves on this very mailing list. It
doesn't need to be an "us against them" scenario, as again - all the TF2
team need do is expand existing tools available to the players to police
their own experience to once again allow equitable treatment to community
servers.

...but again, this has all been said time and again via this list, and I
doubt anyone on the TF2 team even reads it anymore. I think if they planned
to carry though on "supporting communities passionate about the game" as
they once again mentioned just 5 months ago, then they would have done so
by now.