Firstly, Robert, you seem to be confusing the application of zero sum game
and the way it was intended. I refer to it in the context of, “Someone who
prefers and frequents Valve servers, probably won’t play on privately run
servers that often.” And the opposite is also true, “Someone who prefers
and frequents privately run servers, won’t usually go near Valve servers,
though obviously there are incentives for them to do so from time to time.”
And also “If someone has found a community they like, they rarely venture
outside of that community providing the community hosts the types of things
they’re interested in.” The zero-sum-game argument is about where people
play, that is all, and it is reflective of the fact that we are all
creatures of habit.

Secondly, I would surmise that Valve have allowed the continuation
community servers in their diminished form as they don’t consider it a
threat to the enjoyment of their product or revenue model and that the
removal of said servers would only serve to create PR issues – whereas
relegating them to the background is far easier and has far less
consequences. The fact is, players by default are steered to official
servers, which protects them from the shenanigans exclusive to privately
run servers and ensures that players are exposed to things like contracts
etc. (Campaign coins of which are paid). Ergo, Valve gets their money

Thirdly, it would behove of Robert not to guestimate the experience of
other contributors to this mailing list when he does not know to whom he
speaks. My experience is that custom game modes are doing just fine and I’m
not alone in this regard. Perhaps some introspection might reveal why
Robert has a different experience?

Fourthly, the Minecraft argument is not a valid argument due to the fact
that Mojang, despite offering server hosting services via Minecraft Realms,
is not directly involved in hosting and managing “Official Servers” – That
is servers run and managed by Mojang, for Mojang, under the Mojang name.
There is a world of difference between Mojang providing server hosting to
third-parties and Valve hosting servers for themselves – including a
difference of motives. I think everyone on this mailing list understands
the difference and what it means from a business perspective even if that
is beyond Robert‘s comprehension. The distinction is who's managing the
resultant game server and whether or not one is hoping to simply host
privately-managed servers or replace the importance of privately-managed
servers.

Fifthly, I don’t recall Valve ever marketing Team Fortress 2 as a game
where private server operators were guaranteed a “level” environment or
that private servers were guaranteed. Dedicated servers, maybe.
Privately-managed servers, no. The fact that it had the latter feature at
release is, in my view, incidental. Furthermore, I would note that Valve’s
EULA reserves it the right to make changes to the product however they
wish. So perhaps it would be prudent for Robert to take out the emotive
entitlement argument.

Sixthly, screwing over players the second it becomes profitable seemed to
work well for Overkill, who recently exited its own micro-transaction
scandal mostly unscathed. Hell! It even worked well for Valve with the
conversion to free-to-play and the implementation of Mannconomy so long
ago. And let us not forget the screwing over of attachments all in the name
of securing Valve’s monopoly and profit on hats. Perhaps you should brush
up on your history before commenting further, Robert?