I'm also curious why cl_minmodels was removed? For example countless of
servers use custom counter-strike source models server-side and the
people who do not want to see them, have been adviced to turn
cl_minmodels 1, if they do not want to see them. Now this is gone, many
players will be unhappy.

-ics