Speaking of other places that the player count may be relevant, the TF2 vote system uses client index 99 to represent the server as the caller of a vote, specifically in the VoteStart usermessage.

I did a bunch of reverse engineering of the messages and events that the votes use, more information here: http://wiki.alliedmods.net/TF2_Voting

Sadly, I haven't finished my SourceMod extension to control these votes (and the L4D/L4D2 votes) yet.