My guess still is that it's something initiates it on user connect. It's like someone spraying a new spray on a wall. You might be a slight glitch if you have not seen that spray before because your game is going to cache it and store (download it) to your pc. Maybe the server does something that is forwarded to each of the players, thus causing a lagspike. I don't know. I'm just guessing.

-ics