On Sep 11, 2012, at 11:17 AM, Kerry Lynn <ker...@ieee.org> wrote:
> Can we explore how this auto-population might occur?  It seems that to
> glean bindings from mDNS or LLMNR there would have to be at least
> (or exactly?) one "agent" per subnet.  The natural place for the agent to
> reside is on the router.  Presumably each agent learns the address of
> the DNS server via stateless DHCPv6.  The DNS server would need to
> be configured with a TSIG for each agent.  The agent hears multicast
> DNS server.
>
> I assume an alternative would be to auto-configure via stateful DHCPv6.
> Would that more or less of a configuration burden than the sketch above?
> Would work with existing devices?

There are a couple of options being pursued in the DHC working group; the DHCP
address registration process would be an obvious mechanism for leveraging DHCP
to populate the DNS.   The idea here is that you do RA+SLAAC, or RA+CGA, and
then you contact the DHCP server to tell it what address you allocated and what
name you want associated with it, and to get any local network configuration
information you might need.

However, of course this is new technology that isn't even standardized yet.
I'd like it if homenet recommended implementing this, but I think another way
of populating the DNS is through mDNS—when a host publishes its name in mDNS,
it's assumed to be valid as long as no conflicting registration has been made
locally.   I don't particularly love this method because mDNS doesn't have the
same duplicate detection features that DHCP does through the DUID, but it
wouldn't be _worse_ than plain mDNS, and would allow the DNS resolver to query
a consistent FQDN tree for local names, so that it would work whether you were
attached to the local wire or not.