On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Ted Lemon <mel...@fugue.com> wrote:
> On Sep 11, 2012, at 9:52 AM, Michael Thomas <m...@mtcc.com> wrote:
>> So no, let's not start from an assumption that it's an mDNS world in the
>> home. I'd say let's start from the opposite assumption that it's a normal
>> DNS world inside the home where mDNS is a way to auto-populate a
>> DNS repository in lieu of anything better.
>
> +1.
>
> I've begun to feel as if the discussion going on here is leading to a product
> I don't want, so I haven't felt like it was worth weighing in on this
> subject, but this pretty much represents my feelings about it as well.

Can we explore how this auto-population might occur?  It seems that to
glean bindings from mDNS or LLMNR there would have to be at least
(or exactly?) one "agent" per subnet.  The natural place for the agent to
reside is on the router.  Presumably each agent learns the address of
the DNS server via stateless DHCPv6.  The DNS server would need to
be configured with a TSIG for each agent.  The agent hears multicast
DNS server.

I assume an alternative would be to auto-configure via stateful DHCPv6.
Would that more or less of a configuration burden than the sketch above?
Would work with existing devices?

Thanks, -K-