On 13 Mar 2013, at 21:24, Michael Thomas <m...@mtcc.com> wrote:

> On 03/13/2013 01:55 PM, Ted Lemon wrote:
>> On Mar 13, 2013, at 4:11 PM, Michael Thomas <m...@mtcc.com> wrote:
>>> The reason I bring this up is that I don't understand why a single namespace
>>> is "desirable". What are the implications if that is not the case? What
>>> assumedly
>>> bad thing will happen if that's not the case? What goodness flows if it is?
>> If you have devices that need to be addressed outside of the homenet, then
>> you have to have a global namespace, and of course that means a single
>> namespace.   And if you wander to another homenet, and devices are in the
>> same namespace, you may wind up turning up your host's (or their neighbor's)
>> air conditioning.
>
> And this is both orthogonal to my concern, as well as worth mentioning in
> this section, I think.

Right, so that's the concern that's been aired over both homenets using
.sitelocal (or similar).

I agree with Mike though that we should say "at least one global name space",
as other name spaces may map to the homenet devices/prefixes.  Or you may have
a homenet that (for example) has rooms with lodgers who may want to use their
own name spaces in that part of the homenet.

Tim