In your letter dated Tue, 15 Apr 2014 11:24:31 -0500 you wrote:
>I think you are talking apples and oranges.   Simon, you are assuming a functio
>nal configuration environment; in such an environment, the change would be fair
>ly trivial.   Philip, I think you are assuming the current status quo on linux,
> which is badly broken and requires massive amounts of work to make small chang
>es.   In that context, it probably is hundreds of lines of code.
>
>But that really needs to get fixed regardless of the outcome of this discussion
>.

I'm also thinking about the code base for an embedded system I maintain.

And I can really do without more complex interactions between IPv6 and IPv4.

Adding an IPv4 suspend option to DHCPv4, that's easy.

Doing the same thing from IPv6 is a nightmare.

In any system that does DHCPv4, suspending IPv4 for a while is a purely local
interaction with the DHCPc4 client. If you implement it for the most common
DHCPv4 clients, you can probably get it implemented in little time.

On the other hand, if you need have RAs signal suspend and resume of IPv4
you are looking at rewriting the management code of lots of different Linux
distibutions (including various embedded ones) and many operating systems.