{I would love a description from Apple and Microsoft of how their
layer-2/layer-3 address discovery/configurartion systems already interact}

Philip Homburg <pch-homene...@u-1.phicoh.com> wrote:
    > Does that include all edge cases and the user interface?

    > I.e. DHCPv4 has configured an address and by mistake a RA orders IPv4
    > to be
    > shutdown. Do you just shutdown IPv4? Does your code parse the output of
    > ifconfig to figure out if the interface was configured?

No, and no.

The order is not to shutdown v4.  The suggestion is to stop DHCPv4, if it
hasn't succeeded, and assume that there isn't any IPv4 for any downstream
devices.

Ideally the device will not announce an IPv4 default route if it hasn't got
one itself. If the admin has manually configured IPv4, then there is no issue.
What the ISP wants to prevent is barages of DHCPv4 broadcasts, and what the
homenet situation wants is to avoid offering an IPv4 default route when it
won't work.

    > In contrast a DHCPNOSERVICE message that just suspends sending
    > DHCPDISCOVER messages for a while has almost no impact. It gets
    > slightly trickier if
    > that also implies no link local, but not much.

It's not that there isn't v4, it's that there isn't DHCPv4.
I personally think that both should actually exist.

]     m...@sandelman.ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-