Just a tip for someone starting out on this task using JOSM. After stetting up the GNS and image layers (including the US Topo and JOG maps in the area I'm working on), my work cycle is this:

- activate the GNS layer
- select a point
- copy it to the Data 1 layer using Shift-Ctl-M
- activate the Data 1 layer
- make visible the US Army Topo map, which has more places than the JOG map I have. I only use the JOG map for verification. - place the point where it seems right. In the task I was working on, someone had done a lot of the work already, so it was a matter of checking. I changed one or two of the other person's placements, merged nodes once or twice where there was a naming clash, and deleted my copied point when it was clearly redundant.
- reactivate the GNS layer
- delete the original point so I know what's done.

It's this last step that caused me a bit of trouble. I wiped out my GNS layer several times before I realized I had to make sure I returned focus to the edit screen before hitting Delete.

TomT5454
Tom Taylor