Note that in order for the instructions that Pierre gave you will need
the 'mirrored download' plugin in josm.  That will put the 'download
from mirror' option in the file menu.  The [place=*] thing is
optional, without it it will work just like the normal OSM download
functionality, only it allows much bigger areas (whole countries if
you want).

The other possibility is to just download the area piece by piece
using the normal download tool, and then merge them into a single
layer in josm.  Either way will work.

In any case though it is important not to split the tasks, as that
will break the download of the GNS file at this time.

- -AndrewBuck