Harry, Bruno,
I tried including  the images that had had "grey" Alpha masks but with
their Alpha Channels deleted.  the stitch ran to successful
completion.

I have now tried adding a simple black Alpha Channel to each of those
images and it crashes again.

So much for my "grey theory"!

all the best

George

On 20 Apr, 12:29, grow <[email protected]> wrote:
> Harry, Bruno,
>
> I have now experimented a bit more with this stitch.
> Using the preview panel I removed various images and exposure-stack
> image-triples in turn and re-ran the stitch over and over ...  It kept
> crashing at what looks like the same place UNTIL I removed a
> particular triple of images.  When I put them back in it crashes
> again.
>
> Now I have looked closely at those three images.  Each has an Alpha-
> channel mask that was created from a "feathered" selection so I think
> the mask has shades of grey in it,  not just black ... is that a known
> problem?
>
> My next plan is to preserve those images in case they are useful
> evidence for a bug hunter and then replace them by images with a solid
> black mask ...  I'll let you know what happens.
>
> all the best
>
> George
>
> On 20 Apr, 09:45, Harry van der Wolf <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > 2009/4/20 cspiel <[email protected]>
>
> > > Harry -
>
> > > > This same error was reported on Newyears day by "nobody"
> > > (hugin-Bugs-2480029).
> > > > Despite my request for more info we didn't get it.
>
> > >        From the study of the ticket I conclude
> > > you are talking about a problem with Enblend not
> > > with Hugin.  Right?
>
> > Correct! To end users is is hugin that crashes, be it through enblend or
> > "whatever else".
>
> > > > I know there are some "irregularities" with malloc on OSX.
>
> > > Error code 3 means:
> > >        /* The address range specified is already in use, or
> > >         * no address range of the size specified could be
> > >         * found. */
>
> > > Googling the problem suggests that...
> > >        The implementation of realloc on Darwin never frees memory, so
> > >        when using a large buffer size on incomplete reads you end up
> > >        with lots of small strings that actually take up a large
> > >        allocation.
> > > In other words the VM sub-system of the OS
> > > causes the trouble.
>
> > > > Ippei made a hack for it in the scripts we use and he added some 
> > > > (subtle)
> > > > comments:
> > > >  # hack; AC_FUNC_MALLOC sucks!!
> > > >  mv "./config.h" "./config.h-copy";
> > > >  sed -e 's/HAVE_MALLOC\ 0/HAVE_MALLOC\ 1/' \
> > > >      -e 's/rpl_malloc/malloc/' \
> > > >      "./config.h-copy" > "./config.h";
>
> > > Cargo cult.
>
> > > It is known that AC_FUNC_MALLOC does not go well
> > > with cross-compiling, sure.  However, the fix the
> > > rpl_* wrappers should perform has nothing to do
> > > with OOM conditions.
>
> > > > Maybe by now it hurst more than it helps.
>
> > > Well, at least it gives me a hearty laugh:
> > > "Fixes" the wrong thing at the wrong place.
>
> > Do you mean that I should remove that "fix" or change it somehow?
>
> > > While we are at it: can somebody tell me whether
> > > I better remove AC_FUNC_MALLOC from
> > > "configure.in" in the staging branch?  Neither
> > > Enblend nor Enfuse rely directly on the
> > > preprocessor symbols that the m4 macro
> > > generates.
>
> > I can't answer that. Maybe Andrew can if he is reading this thread (I now
> > copied him in)
>
> > Harry
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"hugin and other free panoramic software" group.
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: 
http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/hugin-ptx
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to