Harry,

With the current version the stitch has now run:
   at 6,000 x 3,000 to successful conclusion
   at 9,000 x 4,500 it crashed at the same input image as before
(number 25 out of 27 I think it was)

I am trying to get some time with a Intel-based Mac-Pro  a friend a
few streets away has one  - and if I can I will install Hugin and test
on that.

all the best

George

On May 3, 10:07 am, grow <[email protected]> wrote:
> Harry, (and everyone else)
>
> Thanks for all your continuing efforts on this front.
>
> As I said in my message while you were away (27 April)
> [http://groups.google.com/group/hugin-ptx/msg/3518fe2aa86e5b83?hl=en-GB
> ]
> I had already established that the stitch would run successfully at
> quarter the area.
>
> 1. I will try it on some intermediate sizes and see if I can find a
> specific threshold.
>
> 2. Usually I quit most other applications  and free up as much memory
> as possible before starting a "full-size" stitch.  Would it be a
> worthwhile experiment to compare performance starting in that state
> and one with a lot of other programs open?
>
> 3.  Based on the comment that you quoted from Christoph is there a
> buffer size that I can adjust (in a preference or an individual
> option) that would be worth experimenting with ... either to find the
> "bug" or as a way for me to dodge around something that may be left as
> a "feature".
>
> all the best
>
> George
>
> On 3 May, 09:34, Harry van der Wolf <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > I "moved back in time" and did see that Christoph Spiel said something the
> > same:
>
> > *       The implementation of realloc on Darwin never frees memory, so
> >        when using a large buffer size on incomplete reads you end up
> >        with lots of small strings that actually take up a large
> >        allocation.
> > In other words the VM sub-system of the OS causes the trouble.
>
> > * Harry
>
> > 2009/5/3 Lukáš Jirkovský <[email protected]>
>
> > > I'm looking the sources of enblend/enfuse. In fact there are only two
> > > places where malloc is directly used (I don't count the boost::pool
> > > implementation and the use in implementation of specific image types
> > > like in the vigra_impex/rgbe.c). It's in the vigra/cachedfileimage.hxx
> > > and in vigra_ext/NearestFeatureTransform.h.
>
> > > I've been searching for some information about this issue around the
> > > Internet. It seems quite common. Most often it was said that it's
> > > caused by realloc not freeing the memory correctly, but I can't find
> > > any use of it.
>
> > > IMO the problem is not in the code, but in fact that the memory
> > > becomes fragmented so it's not possible to allocate continuous memory
> > > at the requested size. Maybe it could be solved be splitting these
> > > mallocs into more smaller allocations. Question is if it's possible
> > > wihout adding too much complexity to the code and if it's worthy.
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"hugin and other free panoramic software" group.
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: 
http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/hugin-ptx
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to