Ha! Just as I expected someone with a good knowledge of the subject
has responded as I wrote this.
He has pointed out all the relevant issues and has even brought up the
tutorial that inspired me to experiment (I can never find them again
when I want to!)
The parallax thing is the big issue, and the tutorial addresses it
well. But for some applications, it's not so important. As Kay points
out, many sins are forgiven if you place the camera well (see my
suggestions on that below.) But I really think using a camera that can
take movies might be a good way to go (see below.) The idea being, the
more images you capture, the less of each one you use. Ideally you
would only end up using the very center most part of each image. Being
handy with scripting would help a lot here (I am definitely not!)





Your English works for me!

Well, again I speak from theory rather than experience (or at least
very small scale experience.) This still depends on what you want to
achieve and also on the particular situation. Is this a paid job? What
does the client expect? Are these row houses? In that case you might
be able treat them more like a mosaic where the position and angle of
the camera is not so important. If they are suburban houses separated
from each other by greater distances it might be a different case.
Most of my experience is with  mostly flat subjects. Perhaps someone
else will chime in with an informed insight. In the meantime, I'll
theorize on it for you ;-)

You might get the most satisfying result by taking pictures at
somewhat regular intervals along a strict linear path while keeping
the camera 90º to the path. It probably doesn't need to be super exact
since if there is much depth variation it will not stitch together
seamlessly anyway. But I would make it a goal to keep the path
straight and the camera orthogonal to the line of the path. An HD
movie camera (or a DSLR with movie capability) with a wide angle lens
might be a good capture device, if the goal is to get a sidewalk view
from every point along the street. You could turn it to a portrait
orientation and just drive slowly down the street as you capture a few
images a second! Perhaps a tandem bike with you on the back? With a
conventional still camera and a tripod you can get greater resolution
and better quality images, but you probably don't want to capture
quite so many images. It might be ideal to make sure to take a picture
from directly in front of each house (straight up the walkway to the
door?) so that you get as flat of an elevation view for each house as
possible. Between each house how many pictures you need to take will
depend on the effect you want. an additional one centered half way
between houses and one centered on each corner of each house? Thats
four images per house.

I'm a great believer in small scale trials. Do a trial run on 2 or
three houses to see what works best for you.

-- John

On Nov 15, 11:25 pm, Syv Ritch <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 11/15/11, JohnPW <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > At the risk of sounding like a moron (as I usually do) I'll respond.
>
> No you are not.
>
> > I've only recently experimented with this myself. But my initial
> > thought is, "Do you want a mosaic or a pano?"
> > Actually, it really sounds like you might want a linear pano rather
> > than a mosaic. Or possibly a series of partial panos joined into a
> > linear pano?
>
> Please forgive me but English is neither my first or my second language.
>
> I want one photo of the whole street, what you would call a "linear
> pano". Never heard of that expression before, but it makes sense.
>
> I want one long photo that is like standing in front of each house,
> perpendicular, for the whole street.
>
> I used the word "mosaic" because a couple of month ago there was a
> thread on how to make a mosaic, and I thought that we were talking
> about the same thing.
>
> > Another approach (which you also touch on) is a linear
> > series of conventional panoramas (like Google StreetView.) But you
> > imply that you want to make partial panoramas and stitch them
> > together into one large, long image like a linear panorama.
> > So maybe you haven't decided for sure what your final product should
> > be? What is your aim?
>
> I thought of doing many small panos of 2 images and each one covering
> 3 to 4 houses. I was going to do the panos to simplify, there are 37
> houses on that street.
>
> Thanks

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Hugin and other free panoramic software" group.
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: 
http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/hugin-ptx

Reply via email to