Okay, I just started a big pano with the custom temp directory set to
default and here is ls -l /tmp and ls -l in the directory where all of the
intermediate files are being put when I run out of disk space (like ya all
said the intermediate files go in the directory the images are in:

a side note- I had to leave for work so I left it running figuring it would
just pause when I got the notice that disk space was low. I got home and
the panorama was complete. So it looks as if I found a bug that in my case
did not matter. Anyways here is the outputs of ls -l after I restart
stitching and wait for the low disk space error to occur I also did df for
the drives too:

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/60888911-e92d-40c6-b8cf-5d3ea6831096%40googlegroups.com.