On Thu, 6 Aug 2009 18:28:16 -0500, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com> wrote:

>>.... A problem that I have had in the past was someone updating
>>a PDS with a blocksize on the DD which causes the blocksize in
>>the vtoc to be changed.
>>
>It is a misdesign that the OS allows this ever to happen.  The
>principal use of this facility is to correct errors that were
>introduced by its earlier inadvertent use.  Simply, any OPEN for
>WRITE with overriding attributes where the label contains different
>nonzero attributes should ABEND for inconsistent attributes.

I strongly agree with that, but ...

>If the programmer feels compelled to change attributes the
>recourse should be:
>
>o ZAP the VTOC, or

... I don't agree with that.    Using a utility that requires knowing
the format of the label is asking for trouble.  Sure, zapping the VTOC
is don't gazillions of times a year, but it's (usually) done by techies.
The fixing of a hosed over blocksize should be able to be done by
the same people that hosed it over in the first place, and it should
be safe enough that it won't hose over something else.  But it
should NOT be a function available in data copying utilities like GENER.
The should fail as you mentioned.

>o COPY, reblock, and rename.

Well, yes, definitely ... if the dataset is readable enough do do that.

Pat O'Keefe