Run Arctools which is located in Sys1.samplib. Arctools will create 
HSM.SAMPLE.TOOL. 
Next step, run HSM.SAMPLE.TOOL(SPLITCDS) which will enable you to analyze the 
proper split point for your BCDS.
Then read Multicluster Control Data Set Conversion in the DFSMShsm 
Implementation and Customization Guide. Instructions seem pretty clear.
 
Thank You,
Dave O'Brien
NIH Contractor
________________________________________
From: af dc [[email protected]]
Sent: Monday, December 28, 2009 6:48 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: DFHSM BCDS is going larger

Hi Lizette and David,
thx once more for your sugestions, here is a not so good upd:
- My bcds today:
ARC0148I BCDS TOTAL SPACE=3132000 K-BYTES, CURRENTLY 188
ARC0148I (CONT.) ABOUT 87% FULL, WARNING THRESHOLD=80%, TOTAL
ARC0148I (CONT.) FREESPACE=44%, EA=NO, CANDIDATE VOLUMES=0

STATISTICS
  REC-TOTAL--------4611413     SPLITS-CI----------20950
  REC-DELETED-------232332     SPLITS-CA-----------1512
  REC-INSERTED------346063     FREESPACE-%CI---------10
  REC-UPDATED-------613409     FREESPACE-%CA---------10
  REC-RETRIEVED--273730657     FREESPC-------1439428608
ALLOCATION
  SPACE-TYPE------CYLINDER     HI-A-RBA------3207168000
  SPACE-PRI-----------4350     HI-U-RBA------2788392960
  SPACE-SEC--------------0
VOLUME
  VOLSER------------CPS096     PHYREC-SIZE--------12288
  DEVTYPE------X'3010200F'     PHYRECS/TRK------------4
  VOLFLAG------------PRIME     TRACKS/CA-------------15
  EXTENTS:
  LOW-CCHH-----X'002E0000'     LOW-RBA----------------0
  HIGH-CCHH----X'0270000E'     HIGH-RBA-------426885119
  LOW-CCHH-----X'18660000'     LOW-RBA--------426885120
  HIGH-CCHH----X'2720000E'     HIGH-RBA------3207167999

So, I must schedule an DFHSM intervention soon, and decide if I'll alocate
bcds with EA or use multicluster cds (I have Z/OS V1.8 and I don't know how
to implement these func. I must read the manuals).
Remember that I did the BCDS reorg on December 13th, and it becomes with 52%
of free space. So after 15 days it grew 35%. I'ts very strange, we never had
to reorg or augment the cds so often,

So, any hints are welcome.
Many thx once more, A.Cecilio.



On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 12:15 AM, Lizette Koehler
<[email protected]>wrote:

> I think David's response was good.
>
> Try and determine how fast you are growing.  In my shop, I have a single
> NON EA MCDS/BCDS/OCDS which lasts almost 18 months before a reorg.  We set
> our warning at 97% because we know that it will take a couple of weeks even
> at that level to become full. So we have time to schedule a reorg.
>
> If you are really hurting on size, I would go with the multiple xCDS data
> sets first (not the OCDS).
>
> It will provide the relief you need.  Then, if you have a test DFHSM
> environment, I would practise the use of the EA.
>
> Lizette
>
>
>
>
> >
> >As I read the manual that is correct, however I have no personal
> experience with HSM CDSs using EA.
> >
> >Thank You,
> >Dave O'Brien
> >NIH Contractor
> >
> >
> >Hi David and Lizette,
> >so, I can create a new BCDS with EA giving more space in the allocation
> >right ??
> >Can I have MCDS and OCDS without beeing EA ? There's no obligation of all
> >cdss being EA ??
> >
> >Many thx once more, A.Cecilio
> >
> >
> >On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 7:02 PM, Lizette Koehler <[email protected]
> >wrote:
> >
> >> This also might be a way to go.
> >>
> >> From the DFSMS Introduction Manual SC26-7397-02
> >>
> >> Using DFSMShsm Control Data Sets DFSMShsm control data sets (CDS) are
> >> system-type data sets that DFSMShsm uses to keep track of all
> DFSMShsm-owned
> >> data. They consist of migration, backup, and offline control data sets.
> The
> >> control data sets are an inventory of low activity and inactive data
> that
> >> was stored by DFSMShsm and used to manage its environment.
> >>
> >> DFSMShsm logs its transactions and maintains multiple backup versions of
> >> its CDSs for recovery purposes as specified by the user.
> >>
> >> DFSMShsm can use VSAM KSDS extended addressability (EA) capabilities
> that
> >> use any of the following serialization techniques for accessing its
> CDSs:
> >> v Record-level sharing (RLS) access mode
> >> v CDSQ serialization
> >> v CDSR serialization
> >>
> >> VSAM EA capabilities allow each migration control data set (MCDS),
> backup
> >> control data set (BCDS), and offline control data set (OCDS) cluster to
> >> exceed the 4 GB size. The MCDS and BCDS can span up to four unique KSDS
> >> clusters. The OCDS is limited to a single cluster. The same
> serialization
> >> technique must be used to access all CDSs
> >>
> >>
> >> -----Original Message-----
> >> >From: "O'Brien, David W. (NIH/CIT) [C]" <[email protected]>
> >> >Sent: Dec 18, 2009 12:30 PM
> >> >To: [email protected]
> >> >Subject: Re: DFHSM BCDS is going larger
> >> >
> >> >I checked the archives and the recommendation from a recognized expert
> on
> >> the subject was freespace(0,50) for the HSM CDSs.
> >> >
> >> >From your past experience, how soon will you hit the warning threshold
> of
> >> 80%?
> >> >
> >> >My experience tells me that your rate of increase will slow as  VSAM
> >> allocates space where it is needed through CI and CA splits. You'll find
> the
> >> insert pattern is not uniform.
> >> >
> >> >I run with freespace(0,0) and although I may notice rapid growth in the
> >> week or so after the reorg, the rate slows dramatically after that. See
> how
> >> long it takes to reach 80% and if the rate of increase has slowed enough
> >>  bump the warning threshold to 90%. Of course your situation may require
> a
> >> larger CDS using EA.
> >> >
> >> >Check the Implementation and Customization manual for the following
> >> section:
> >> >Using VSAM Extended Addressability Capabilities
> >> >
> >> >Thank You,
> >> >Dave O'Brien
> >> >NIH Contractor
> >> >________________________________________
> >> >From: af dc [[email protected]]
> >> >Sent: Friday, December 18, 2009 11:48 AM
> >> >To: [email protected]
> >> >Subject: Re: DFHSM BCDS is going larger
> >> >
> >> >Hi David,
> >> >here are the answers:
> >> >
> >> >1. I did a reog on it last sunday, 13th Dec, it becames with 52%, today
> it
> >> >has:
> >> >ARC0148I BCDS TOTAL SPACE=3132000 K-BYTES, CURRENTLY 868
> >> >ARC0148I (CONT.) ABOUT 68% FULL, WARNING THRESHOLD=80%, TOTAL
> >> >ARC0148I (CONT.) FREESPACE=52%, EA=NO, CANDIDATE VOLUMES=0
> >> >
> >> >2. about freespace:
> >> >STATISTICS
> >> >  REC-TOTAL--------4498462     SPLITS-CI------------239
> >> >  REC-DELETED---------8225     SPLITS-CA--------------0
> >> >  REC-INSERTED--------9009     FREESPACE-%CI---------10
> >> >  REC-UPDATED--------12843     FREESPACE-%CA---------10
> >> >  REC-RETRIEVED---61529041     FREESPC-------1698484224
> >> >
> >> >Many thx, A.Cecilio
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 4:30 PM, O'Brien, David W. (NIH/CIT) [C] <
> >> >[email protected]> wrote:
> >> >
> >> >> You are only using a little more than half your RBA so I have 2
> >> questions:
> >> >>
> >> >> 1. How often do you re-org the BCDS?
> >> >>
> >> >> 2. What are your freespace parameters for the BCDS?
> >> >>
> >> >> Thank You,
> >> >> Dave O'Brien
> >> >> NIH Contractor
> >> >> ________________________________________
> >> >> From: af dc [[email protected]]
> >> >> Sent: Friday, December 18, 2009 11:28 AM
> >> >> To: [email protected]
> >> >> Subject: DFHSM BCDS is going larger
> >> >>
> >> >> Hello,
> >> >> I've DFHSMS V1.8 and our BCDS has:
> >> >>
> >> >> ALLOCATION
> >> >>  SPACE-TYPE------CYLINDER     HI-A-RBA------3207168000
> >> >>  SPACE-PRI-----------4350     HI-U-RBA------1673625600
> >> >>  SPACE-SEC--------------0
> >> >>
> >> >> so it's reaching the max extents per volume.
> >> >> In a near, very near future, I'll have to allocate a larger BCDS, can
> >> you
> >> >> pls give me an help, from your experience, what is the "best way to
> >> grow"??
> >> >> alocate a new one with EA ??
> >> >>
> >> >> Many thx, Antonio Cecilio.
> >> >>
> >
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
> send email to [email protected] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
> Search the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html
>

----------------------------------------------------------------------
For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
send email to [email protected] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
Search the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------
For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
send email to [email protected] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
Search the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html

Reply via email to