On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 17:22:39 -0600, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 15:18:41 -0800, Guy Gardoit wrote:
>
>>Good for IBM - goodbye Neon, sleep tight.
>>
>I'm not sure why the jubilation.  Sure, Neon is in business
>to make money.  They're trying to do so by offering IBM's
>customers a way to save money.  Whether it's legal or not
>is for the courts to decide; they haven't rendered that
>decision yet.  Until then, in the interest of their pocketbooks,
>pragmatic customers should be rooting for Neon.
>
>>On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 9:48 PM, Ed Gould wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2010/01/29/ibm_countersues_neon/

I am rooting for Neon, but from what I've read, their software invokes the
specialty engines for tasks that are not valid for those engines. I think IBM
was vague about qualifying workloads when they introduced them, but they
have since clarified much. I believe the IBM agreements everyone is bound by
states if you run an unqualified workload on those engines, they can charge
you for the entire engine at GP prices. That's a pretty pricey gamble.

The courts may change that or maybe IBM will buy them out and share some
of their capabilities with us. Who knows....