From: Mark Zelden <mark.zel...@zurichna.com>
Subject: Re: IBM countersues Neon over zPrime accelerator
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Date: Tuesday, February 2, 2010, 11:59 PM

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 17:22:39 -0600, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 15:18:41 -0800, Guy Gardoit wrote:
>
>>Good for IBM - goodbye Neon, sleep tight.
>>
>I'm not sure why the jubilation.  Sure, Neon is in business
>to make money.  They're trying to do so by offering IBM's
>customers a way to save money.  Whether it's legal or not
>is for the courts to decide; they haven't rendered that
>decision yet.  Until then, in the interest of their pocketbooks,
>pragmatic customers should be rooting for Neon.
>
>>On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 9:48 PM, Ed Gould wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2010/01/29/ibm_countersues_neon/
>
>-- gil

I don't have a stake either way, but if I were rooting for Neon and they
won this battle, IBM would still be free to change the licensing rules or
not charge less for special engines, or they could just change the code
and break zPrime for Neon.   So the only benefit seems to be temporary for
anyone using the software.  Long term, it could hurt everyone else.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
mailto:mark.zel...@zurichna.com