On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 8:19 AM, McKown, John <john.mck...@healthmarkets.com>
wrote:
>More likely effect: IBM discontinues the speciality engines entirely. And OEM
>vendors start basing their software prices on both CP and speciality engines
>in the box instead of just on the CPs. IMO, the entire point of the zAAP at
>least was to not impact software costs for traditional workloads while making
>"new" workloads (WAS) affordable.

Exactly. Folks are being short-sighted about this, thinking that IBM will let
it stand. IBM will do anything to preserve this revenue stream (as well they
should, in terms of shareholder value and like that). NEON tugged on Superman's
cape; they should have expected to get swatted. You don't have to like this,
it's just reality.

Now, the courts COULD decide otherwise -- that's why it's, like, in court. We
can debate it here endlessly, but that won't change the ruling.

...phsiii