<snip>

> IMO, the best possible outcome of this would be if it caused
> IBM to revamp
> its software pricing policies, drastically reducing prices
> and ensuring that
> they would not continue to increase as processors become
> faster.  It would
> be quite painful to IBM and other software vendors at first.  The net
> result, I believe, would be a halt to the loss of mainframe
> customers and
> new customers coming to the platform.

I agree. But this violates a management mantra: "Milk the cash stream for
immediate profit!!" Remember the story of the goose who laid the golden egg.
Management is that farmer.

I firmly believe that Linux on z, i, Intel, ... is the future. If you want
support, you pay for it. If you want changes to FOSS software, you can pay for
it or hope somebody decides to do it for you "for free". If you want custom
programming, you pay for it. If you want "no cost" software, then there are the
"community support" forums. Take your pick. If I were an SMB, then Linux would
be my stated preferred OS. And FOSS software, perhaps with a support contract,
would be my preferred environment. z/OS? Forget it. OK for "large" customers,
too expensive for SMBs. Windows? Too expensive, too buggy, too insecure, too
much DRM and vendor lock-in. iSeries is impressive, but you're locked into IBM
too much. pSeries? Well, good hardware, but I'd likely run Linux on it and not
AIX.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets(r)

(817) 255-3225 phone * (817)-961-6183 cell