On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 12:31 PM, McKown, John <
john.mck...@healthmarkets.com> wrote:

> Depends. What are they running? How do they measure "up time"? We are still
> stuck in the 1970s for all intents and purposes. We run CICS with VSAM. No
> RDMS. No Websphere. 100% COBOL. We do run some 3270 "screen scraping" and
> even have a few CICS web like transactions via HTTP. But we have a lot of
> night down-time for running batch reports and updates against the CICS VSAM
> files. This is on CICS/TS 3.2, z/OS 1.10, and a z9BC. Our legacy
> applications are old, old, old.
>  <http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html>

I laughingly refer to this as "running in 1985 compatibility mode" and
pretty much all but the top tier of customers still run that way.
There's a huge gulf between what the platform is capable of and what people
actually do with it.

--
This email might be from the
artist formerly known as CC