Chris Craddock wrote:
On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 12:31 PM, McKown, John <
john.mck...@healthmarkets.com> wrote:

Depends. What are they running? How do they measure "up time"? We are still
stuck in the 1970s for all intents and purposes. We run CICS with VSAM. No
RDMS. No Websphere. 100% COBOL. We do run some 3270 "screen scraping" and
even have a few CICS web like transactions via HTTP. But we have a lot of
night down-time for running batch reports and updates against the CICS VSAM
files. This is on CICS/TS 3.2, z/OS 1.10, and a z9BC. Our legacy
applications are old, old, old.
 <http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html>

I laughingly refer to this as "running in 1985 compatibility mode" and
pretty much all but the top tier of customers still run that way.
There's a huge gulf between what the platform is capable of and what people
actually do with it.

That's for sure!

Furthermore, management is quick to point out that the IT folks
are not responsive to the "rapid change of business needs", yet
management will not fund training in new or updated technologies
for their staff (nor even for conceptual updates for themselves).

While I'm at it, another common piece of folk lore, to me, is
the constant claim that IT people are "not aligned" with the
business needs. And yet the folks responsible for maintaining
any application usually know very deeply how it works; yet
management will not spend any time learning how IT supports the
vital interests and functioning of their own business!

--

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

* To get a good Return on your Investment, first make an investment!
  + Training your people is an excellent investment