<snip>

> Furthermore, management is quick to point out that the IT folks
> are not responsive to the "rapid change of business needs", yet
> management will not fund training in new or updated technologies
> for their staff (nor even for conceptual updates for themselves).
>
> While I'm at it, another common piece of folk lore, to me, is
> the constant claim that IT people are "not aligned" with the
> business needs. And yet the folks responsible for maintaining
> any application usually know very deeply how it works; yet
> management will not spend any time learning how IT supports the
> vital interests and functioning of their own business!

In serious line of business applications with, competing requirements
from many internal departments, it is often that IT is the central and
only organization that understand multiple aspects of  the business
and how they work (or not) together.

How many times have you had to ask two business units to resolve the
requirements conflicts at a business level because they are a) doing
conflicting things; b) doing similar things in an inconsistent and
incompatible manner; or c) wanting to do things that are proven money
losers.

> --
>
> Kind regards,
>
> -Steve Comstock