Richard,

How true. I thought this was part of the thinking behind "before" and
"after" batch back-ups, providing a checkpoint where an application could be
restored prior to some application related error or corruption.

There are a few sites that use in-system copy products (Shadowimage,
FlashCopy, Timefinder, etc) to capture several Point-in-Time copies at
regular intervals throughout the day to minimize the time required to
restore and roll forward from this sort of error. From what I perceive of
this problem, this sort of backup process may not have been compromised, and
could have been used to restore the data to a recovery point in minutes, not
days.

There's a reason the storage vendor's are selling low performance, High
Capacity SATA drives - this could be one of them :-)

Ron

Behalf Of