>From the IMS-L listserver is the following link:
http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Microsoft-SQL-Server-2005-Enterprise-Edition/Virginia-Department-of-Motor-Vehicles/Virginia-DMV-Enhances-Decisions-Boosts-Safety-Through-Integration-with-Other-Agencies/4000004307

 They actually spend a lot of money to convert the mainframe to something else.
The article above is about how great the new solution is.

Denis.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Kopischke <dgkopisc...@oppenheimerfunds.com>
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Sent: Thu, Sep 2, 2010 12:43 am
Subject: Re: Virginia DOT outage

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 18:18:19 EDT, Ed Finnell wrote:

>In a message dated 9/1/2010 2:33:01 P.M. Central Daylight Time,

>writes:

>doesn't this say more about the disaster recovery

>scenario than  anything else?

>More like never been tested under  load.

In all those story links, there was no mention at all that their DR plan was

even invoked.

Maybe it wasn't deemed to be a significant enough failure to warrant

executing their DR plan ???

Maybe they don't have a DR plan ???

I don't live in Virginia, so it doesn't affect me personally. At least I don't

think

it does. If Northrup-Grumman has to pay for this, who are there other

customers ??? They may have to raise their rates to make up for the loss, so I

actually might end up paying for it. Hmmmmm

The Virginia Governor's office seems a little worried. Lot's of blame being

aimed

right at them. Do you think the outsourcer is feeling the same kind of heat ???

So what if they lose a client. They'll get another.

I'd be interested in reading details about the array failure. Some of the

comments questioned the likelihood of a dual failure. So what failed and

when ??? Maybe the first failure went unreported or was ignored ??? A dual

failure is pretty unlikely...

There's a lot more to this than is being reported. I sure hope it's not buried.