From: Rick Fochtman <rfocht...@ync.net>
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Sent: Wed, April 13, 2011 3:58:15 PM
Subject: Re: Fear the Internet, was Cool Things You Can Do in z/OS

-----------------------------------------<snip>------------------------------------

> Perhaps network/PC people simply can't conceive of a server being that
>secure/robust. Indeed, I know of a network guy who firmly believes that the MF
>would fail if presented with enough network traffic.
>
> To be fair, the burden of dealing with Windows security has fallen to the
>network folks, and, as they say, if you aren't paranoid, then you just don't
>understand :-)
>
> Further, it might be prudent to temper our confidence with the knowledge that
>no security is without holes. And the MF holds the crown jewels of the company
>and more. Extra layers of security are easy to justify.
>
> But a 'no outbound' position speaks to the fear that folks may catch on that
>the MF may be the best platform by far and work would start migrating back
>from
>the tinker toy farm to the citadel.
>
> Just my $0.02

Hal, you're right in that no security is without holes. However, RACF, physical
security and staff training and standards can make the MF security far tighter
than anything we've seen on x86 based servers so far.  Emphasis on "SO FAR". I
won't say that the MF is "unbreakable", because as soon as I do, an ingenious
idiot will prove me wrong. It would be very interesting to see a RACF-like
product for the X86 world, but how many so-called "System Administrators" would
be able to grasp the concepts, much less the mechanics?

Rick