On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 16:17:43 -0400, Lizette Koehler wrote:

>We have an application dependent on LOCAL time.  So when
>the clock changes on Nov 6, we think this application will see
>1am twice and have problems.

If the application uses local time and will have problems during
the second hour between 1:00 and 2:00, you will have to shut
the application down for an hour.

>So, is this correct, that if we do not use an IPL the STP will
>adjust the mainframe at 2am to 1am?  In which case my bad
>application will see the 1am hour again.

Yes, unless you schedule it to occur at another time, which
might cause other problems.

>If so, then I think our only option would be to shutdown the
>LPARs at 1am (12:59) and then when it is the time, IPL so
>that 1am is only seen once by this application.  The application
>itself cannot be down for 1 hour. POLITICS.

If the only way you can shut down the badly behaving application
is to shut down the LPARs and IPL, then I guess that is what you
have to do, as silly as it sounds to me.

It does not have to be shut down at 1 AM.  Any time between 1 AM
and 2 AM will do.  You could shut down the application at 1:30 and
bring it back up an hour later at 1:30.

--
Tom Marchant