Paging (if you'll pardon the pun :-)  ) Don Deese and wondering what
checks he has in CPExpert in this area. Might provide inspiration to z/OS
Development - if Barbara's comment had spurred them to revisit this area.

Cheers, Martin

Martin Packer,
Mainframe Performance Consultant, zChampion
Worldwide Banking Center of Excellence, IBM

+44-7802-245-584

email: martin_pac...@uk.ibm.com

Twitter / Facebook IDs: MartinPacker
Blog:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/MartinPacker

IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu> wrote on 04/02/2012
16:03:22:

> Barbara Nitz <nitz-...@gmx.net>

> IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu,

> 04/02/2012 16:35

> Re: Very Lage Page Datasets (was ASM and HiperPAV)
>
> Sent by:
>
> IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
>
> Charles,
>
> >I believe you're referring to the ASM_LOCAL_SLOT_USAGE check.
> Yes, I do.
>
> > If so, this check runs at a 30 minute interval and checks the slot
> usage for each in-use local paging data set regardless of whether it
> was defined 'statically' or added via PAGE ADD. So... it does
> eventually recognize a changed configuration. Some of the ASM checks
> are set to re-run when a PAGE ADD/DELETE is issued, but
> ASM_LOCAL_SLOT_USAGE is currently not one of them.  Open to
suggestions....

> As far as I am concerned, there is 'intelligence' missing in that
> check (my usual complaint with health checks).
>
> In our installation, we only have one device geometry, behind the
> same controller, and all page data sets are same size. So I expect
> the health check to recognize that adding a page ds to the overall
> config will relieve the 'performance impact' of 30% overall usage.
> Unfortunately, ASM does NOT prefer the new page ds, it is one of
> many, and as I indicated before, has never filled to the same slot
> usage as the others. Only IPL has ever evened out slot usage (and I
> am not talking about 1% difference, more like 20% difference on the
> same geometry and size! I think Skip mentioned this, too.)
>
> So the old, already-at-30%-usage locals and the new one are treated
> equal, so slot usage on the old ones increases over the 30% mark,
> and the check would still trip every 30 minutes because of that (if
> I hadn't set it to only check once per day until the next IPL).
> After it had alerted us to the condition once, it becomes basically
> useless for the life of the IPL.
>
> In my opinion, this health check should have the intelligence to
> recognize something about the configuration (same controller, same
> size data set) and change the checking parms accordingly, especially
> when a page data set was added. The check should obviously (as Kees
> indicated) behave differently if different percentage slot usage is
> due to different geometry and/or different size page ds.
>
> Now that I have established a daily graphic that shows slot
> utilization (as shown by Barry via MXG), I might get rid if that
> check completely and check my graphic instead. :-)
>
> Barbara

> send email to lists...@bama.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.