I think the health check's way of working, to check each page dataset
for its 30%, in stead of the entire page dataset configuration, is not
such a bad one. AFAIK and some earlier posts in this thread suggested it
too: ASM has one or more groups of page datasets, depending on
devicetype, channel configuration etc. If you have a well balanced page
configuration, there will be 1 group. It selects one group and
circulates through it to select a page dataset. This means that if some
are >30% full, others are <<30%, all have an equal chance of being
selected. So with this mechanisme in mind, it is worth while signalling
than 1 page dataset is >30%, because this can cause AMS inefficiency in
spite of the filling of the others.

(Unless I am mistaken or outdated on ASM's algorithmes).

Kees.

"Charles Mari" <cm...@us.ibm.com> wrote in message
> Barbara,
>
> In regards to:
>
> >> 'I like the ASM health check that tells us that usage is 30% or
more. (In fact, I send an automated exception email every time this
happens.) I hate that ASM does not recognize that a  new page data set
was added. That health check stupidly doesn't recognize a changed config
and still spits out the warning.'

> I believe you're referring to the ASM_LOCAL_SLOT_USAGE check. If so,
this check runs at a 30 minute interval and checks the slot usage for
each in-use local paging data set regardless of whether it was defined
'statically' or added via PAGE ADD. So... it does eventually recognize a
changed configuration. Some of the ASM checks are set to re-run when a
PAGE ADD/DELETE is issued, but ASM_LOCAL_SLOT_USAGE is currently not one
of them.  Open to suggestions....

> Regards,
> Charles Mari - IBM RSM/ASM Development

> send email to lists...@bama.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN