Hi Martin,

Thanks for "paging" me. It is good to hear from you, and I hope that all is well!

CPExpert has 16 checks (I call them "rules") related to potential performance problems with the paging subsystem. Included are checks whether allocation percent exceeded guidance, checks for whether different allocation sizes were defined for page data sets (unbalanced allocation), and checks for significantly different I/O response time for different page data sets (unbalanced access times).

When Message IRA205I (50% AUXILIARY STORAGE ALLOCATED) was introduced with z/OS V1R8, I took note only because a system message was produced at 50% or more of allocation of all available slots in the auxiliary storage paging space. Since the message documentation said "System Action: Processing continues" and there was no indication of any further system action, I assumed that Message IRA205I was simply a routine performance alert. The System Programmer Response was "You should consider adding additional page data sets to your system. When utilization exceeds 30%, the slot allocation algorithms become less efficient, and may degrade I/O performance." It appeared that IBM felt sufficiently concerned about using significantly more than 30% auxiliary storage that this new message was introduced. Since this message was introduced concurrent with significant changes to real memory control in z/OS V1R8, I assumed that there was increased wmphasis on the 30% ROT because of these z/OS V1R8 changes. I did include a discussion of Message IRA205I in CPExpert user documentation, and I noted that the z/OS message would be produced every 2 hours so long as the condition existed.

The discussion in Message IEE711I "If the reason field shows A CRITICAL AUXILIARY STORAGE SHORTAGE EXISTS...SVC dumps will not be allowed again until the auxiliary storage utilization drops below 35%...." was added with z/OS V1R11. Regardless of whether this 35% is too conservative, there appears to be continued justification for retaining the ROT of keeping auxiliary storage allocation below 30%, and Message IRA205I was a potentially serious warning of an unwelcome system effect with over-allocation of auxiliary storage. It is almost moot whether the 30% ROT relates to the slot allocation algorithms becoming less efficient, since some system functions demand that a significant percent of auxiliary storage must be available.

Best regards,

Don

******
Don Deese, Computer Management Sciences, Inc.
Voice: (804) 776-7109  Fax: (804) 776-7139
http://www.cpexpert.org
******