When my wife's windoze machine neared end-of-life, we bought her a new HP laptop. I had to spend a lot of time fixing problems my wife encountered because of HP's tactic of pasting HP-specific crud on top of windoze, but eventually, we got things working in an understandable way. But then ... On the day after the warranty expired, the internet connection through my wireless router would not come up. I pursued all the help pages and Google and eventually discovered that the light (on the F12 key) signifying power status to the wireless adapter was amber rather than blue. HP FAQ's and Google hits indicated that I should just press the F12 key, but to no avail. When I contacted HP, I was told that I would have to pay for support on a time-used basis or get a contract for $59. I paid the $59 and was connected to a lady for whom English was a second language. She knew immediately what the problem was and instructed me to delete and rebuild one of the programs that was part of the afore-mentioned overlay of HP crud, and then to download an updated BIOS from HP's site.
What really bothers me about this is:
1) The problem's emergence on the first day of non-warranty status.
2) The fact that the problem is obviously with HP software (or perhaps manufacturing processes related to software). 3) The fact that support knew all about the problem, but it was not in the FAQ's, or at least not recognizable by the symptoms I experienced.
4) That I had to pay to discover HP's defect.

Dale Miller