>On the other hand, this allows independents to provide said expertise,
and keep food on the table. We all like to remain fed, not to mention
the mutts  >...  ;-)

I agree wholeheartedly.  However, my comments were intended to address
the issue that somehow the vendor was supposed to provide all these
services so that the customer wouldn't be inconvenienced for having made
customized changes.

Regarding another post where the vendor was suggested to be CA instead
of IBM ... I don't see any difference.  When a customer customizes a
product and/or writes program code to exploit an API, then the onus is
on them to maintain the expertise and take on the responsibility of
maintaining such code into the future.

Adam