From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Dave Jones
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 12:55 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: IBM/Gerogia Tech unveil fast chip

I seem to recall that a Gene Amdahl startup (Commercial Data Servers?)
did some work with cooling an off the shelf IBM P/390 chip when they
first came out to something like -20 degrees (C) to get it to have a
higher clock rate.
I saw the experimental setup in their lab one time.....

But I think we're overlooking the obvious here....the chip reportedly
runs at 350 Ghz *at room temperature*. That's 175 times faster than
today's common chips.  I don't think that it will take 10 years to get
that technology into commercial use.....

DJ