While I was out of work for 18 months, I used MONSTER, HOTJOBS, and
Careerbuilder.  I applied to all the positions I thought I qualified for,
but employers either never got back to me, had me out on an interview and
never got back to me, or said my skill set was too old (my last os at the
time was OS/390 and they were looking for z/OS)

It seemed to me that employers had no idea what they wanted and therefore
passed over individuals that did not meet their buzz words.

I finally got a job because the person that hired me was a friend I had
known for over 10 years.  And the position was one I would not normally have
accepted, Contractor working as an application development support person
creating tools to make appl pgmrs lives better.  But it was a job.

I later was offered a full time sysprog job doing z/OS System programming.
That was due to the hiring manager knowing what he wanted and what skills
would work.

So in my opinion - it is not from a lack of trying but that the hiring
personnel do not know what they are looking for.

Lizette