John Cassidy wrote:
Call it a sea-change or whatever, I cannot see things improving, despite
IBM's University initiative etc. - too late. SUN have been there (The
uni's)  years before IBM.
IBM can't possibly compete in the university environment until they change their ways.

We have a site license for Solaris which makes it almost free for as many Sun servers as we want. And we can use the software to run our administrative systems (Human Resources, Student Information System, Financials, etc.). No restrictions on what we can use the software for. Sun also gives us huge discounts on hardware.

IBM gives us the standard 15% educational discount on software. And we go out for bid on hardware and take our chances like every other customer. IBM has programs for Higher Education ... like SzAU (or something like that) and HESC (no longer available) but they require that we ONLY use the software for instructional or research purposes. If we run administrative workload on that software, we pay commercial prices less the standard 15% educational discount.

And they wonder why they keep losing to our 120-server (and growing) farm???

What's-his-name keeps harping about IBM's new programs for education and such, but they still haven't changed the one thing that keeps shooting them in the foot. Clueless!

--Stephen

Stephen Y. Odo
Systems Engineering                        e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Information Technology Services             phone:      (808)956-2383
University of Hawai'i                         FAX:      (808)956-2412
U5 Girls/Boys Master Coach
U10 Boys Age Group Coordinator
U16/U19 Girls Age Group Coordinator
Child and Volunteer Protection Advocate
AYSO Honolulu Region 178                   e-mail:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]