>Question came up here about moving to Linux from a host of servers.
>
>1. Have any of you experienced this?
>2. Did you go native LINUX or
>3. Multiple issues of Linux under Z/VM?

1. Experience yes, two applications with 45 "Virtual" Linux Servers; WAS,
TAMS, UDB/DB2, Firewalls, Switches, Routers, Hypersockets, etc. LPARS
Production, TEST, and SYSPROG on a z900.
2. Uses z/VM to achieve the Virtualization (this hot new trend which was
JUST recently discovered, amazing).
3. The reason was "cost" and enough Linux Servers required to make it
worthwhile, not to mention the financial implications of buying 45
Servers, licenses, Gbe capable Firewalls, Switches and Routers. Had the
IFL anyway and it was cheap at the time.

Will send you a financial presentation, later today, I did comparing the
implementation costs on a z900 versus buying 45 $2K Intel machines and
doing the same implementation. True the Intel solution would have fallen
short of expectations but it sounds cheap to do. But if it turned out the
$2K solution was more expensive than "z" with the only way for it to work
would be to make it MUCH MORE expensive than "z". The conclusions lie in a
financial model (called a spreadsheet) of costs.

Jim