>Looks like the Linux under VM project is about to kick off. The user wants
>to move an Oracle application onto our Z/890 using that scenario.
>
>Out of curiosity, is there a preponderance of one Linux over another under
>VM? One of the Redbooks discusses SUSE, other signs point towards Redhat.

I see one factor is Support and how it works in the Open-Source world.
When I looked into this it is a bit different in the terminology. We use
SuSe Linux and first I needed "e-Maintenance" not to be confused
with "Support".

e-Maint must come from Novell and gives you the rights to new updates and
fixes. This is not to be confused with being able to call someone, report
a problem or get advice. This costed about $10.5K for z900 IFL.

When things break the fixes come out of the Open-Source community when it
gets fixed. Not appealing for those used to PMR's and gettting PTF's when
things break.

"Support" means you can actually call someone and report a problem.
Novell's offering was $13K for the rights to call and chat. Not much more
than that in the contract.

IBM "Support" was more interesting. You call IBM on the same number as
z/OS, open a PMR, and IBM will create for a fix if needed. Then after you
are back working, IBM will staff the problem into the Open-Source
community to the party responsible. Then eventually the fix comes out in
the e-Maint process or new release. IBM is also available for questions,
etc, exactly like one does for z/OS.

I am told IBM has about 15-20% of the code in the SuSe Linux which much of
it has to do with I/O and exploiting zSeries. I know of sites who run Red-
Hat and work fine. I have not looked into IBM & Red-Hat offers offers
comparable to e-Maint and "Support".

Further analysis is suggested with an eye to wanting a fix for a problem
ASAP versus sometime in the future.

Jim