Greg

That trick won't wash. If you wish to make a point, you must be prepare to defend it - or concede the field - this is a "list" after all!

I'm obliged to reject your thanks - I think in the spirit in which they were offered as supported by the intention to pretend that the last word had been said - since it was not my objective either to acknowledge or to support what I understood to be your point.

Your point appeared to be that USS is correct usage for UNIX System Services only because it is specified in the correct way in the header of APAR OA12191. I can see this as simply the relevant support person - albeit an IBM employee - imagined he was creating the correct text. But - as is so easily seen from the UNIX System Services bookshelf - he/she was just plain wrong.

It's clear that he/she felt obliged to provide the abbreviations for the "affected users". It would have been better just not to have bothered.

It is evident from Steve Thompson's post that he was acquainting the people, specifically support people, with whom he was conversing with the fact they were misusing USS since he reported that they realised they had to agree with him.

Well, the talk is of "acknowledgement and support" and in connection with IBM support people, so, again with Steve's permission, I hope, I'll include his text from a post on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 9:57 PM to avoid you having to go to the trouble of searching the archives:

<quote>

And in an ETR I had open with IBM, they [the TCP group] had to agree that using USS for Unix System Services was causing confusion when we also needed to discuss USS [VTAM] while discussing OMVS...

Also, I recall seeing a non-published memo (internal, but not "IBM Confidential") where someone in support was pointing out the ambiguity being caused by Unix System Services being referred to by USS (when it is specifically part of VTAM) for routing of support issues!!!!

</quote>

Where I will support you is in letting people use USS (if they must!) as a way of avoiding the possibility of creating "typos" when keying "UNIX System Services" in IBM-MAIN posts - and in talking to one another in whatever context - so long as there is no possibility of ambiguity. Note that I am supporting you in keying one or the other, not both as in your example APAR text - which means, I guess, I'm finally not supporting you at all!

And I have to note you haven't been reading what I wrote carefully enough. I only want people to *know about* the "IBM standard" and not *believe* another "standard" exists.

Chris Mason

----- Original Message ----- From: "Greg Shirey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>