>>> On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at  9:42 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Steve Comstock
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
-snip-
> * "With the addition, ISU becomes the only public university in
> the state to offer its technology students both an undergraduate
> program in enterprise computing and hands-on access to such an
> IBM mainframe."
>
>    Really? Has IBM abandonded NIU?

Based on Michael Stack's note, that happened quite a while back.  But, even if
it hadn't, does IBM have to give NIU the same thing it gives anyone else?  I
would rather see them donate hardware and software to as many different places
as possible.  UMR would be one such place, since that's where I got my CSc
degree.  I'm positive there would be many other good choices.

> I didn't see it in this article, but someone already posted that
> it seems the software is Linux (probably with z/VM), not z/OS;
> is z/OS still IBM's "flagship operating system"?

Oh, to be sure.  Just the fact that 99% of the world (that knows about such
things) thinks "mainframe" == "z/OS" indicates that.  I've worked with z/OS,
z/VM, and Linux concurrently.  As such, I get to hear all the complaining about
that fact.  So, to me, hearing people complaining about "what, not z/OS?" is
like complaining about ISU verus NIU.  IBM can't throw a bone (and a relatively
small one at that: z890?)  to its poor neglected other children without being
called stupid, or dishonest?

Mark Post