From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Derry, James E
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2007 10:49 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Newspaper: IBM Invests $5M in Illinois State Univ.

I can calm some of your fears. While I have nothing to do with the Academic Initiative Program here at ISU, I was the Derry quoted in the article. Have you ever tried to explain a variable priced computer and incremental software charges to non-technical newspaper people before. It ain't easy. The z890 that was loaned to ISU will be configured as a model 370 and with an IFL. It will be configured with 4 LPARS. A z/OS LPAR will be for operating system students to install, configure and IPL at will. I can only imagine how many times that will be IPL'ed in a day. The other LPAR will be a more stable z/OS system for teaching DB2, COBOL, Assembler, and other courses. I heard at Educause that a large retail company has donated 2 million rows of transactional DB2 data for the Academic Initiative project. There will also be two z/VM LPARS with Linux instances under them.

What I thought was interesting was that the program included any IBM software that the students want.

The one thing that did get to me during the ceremony was that they kept talking about the old baby-boomers that are currently running the systems. I don't want to be called old at 49.

Have a good day all you gray-beards.

Ah, I didn't see your post; you must not have posted to
the listserv; you do realize when you do that not all of
us see your posting.(?)

Anyway, thanks for the additional details. And what will
you be using for training materials for those "DB2, COBOL,
Assembler, and other courses"?

Also, what is Educause?

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

  z/OS Application development made easier
    * Our classes include
       + How things work
       + Programming examples with realistic applications
       + Starter / skeleton code
       + Complete working programs
       + Useful utilities and subroutines
       + Tips and techniques