On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 11:35:54 -0500, Paul Gilmartin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 09:44:20 -0500, Mark Zelden wrote:
>>
>>The catalog has nothing to do with it.  Despite the fact that someone deleted
>>the data set, it is still ALLOCATED to JES2 and the original extents are
in the
>>DEB.   You can rename the new one, re-allocate it to its original volume and
>>copy it back or just leave it where it is.  Either way you have to recycle
JES2
>>to pick up the new extents.
>>
>Are DEBs created by ALLOCATE?  I had imagined it was OPEN.

The DD associated with the proclib concatenation was previously opened.
And by multiple converter subtasks depending on PCEDEF  CNVTNUM.
In my case CNVTNUM=10.

>In an earlier contribution, you mentioned that JES holds no ENQ
>on the PROCLIBs.  That sounds terribly dangerous.  Why would they
>design it that way?

How would you ever re-allocate a proclib if it was ENQed?  At least
before TSO.   Shutdown JES2, then run a batch job to do the rename.
Wait... you can't run a batch job, JES2 is down!

>Just curious: can the PROCLIB concatenation contain PDSEs?

Yes.  That eliminates the COMPRESS issue or the problem you might
run into if the library takes an additional extent.  The second problem
was fixed about 15 years ago in MVS/ESA V4.   JES2 recognizes this
condition via I/O error and then will close and reopen the DD for
all converter tasks.    Actually, knowing this works makes me think
that the "trick" mentioned an an earlier post (running jobs that point
to a nonexistent or another PROCxx DD) could work to fix the problem
without having to bounce JES2.   But I don't know if there is some
extra code in the fix from 15 years ago that handles that situation
differently.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden