Most shops (including ours) use some kind of automation to manage syslog.
In our case, we've been doing it for so long that it's (still) handled by
JES2 automatic commands. In other words, you don't any fancy schmancy
automation product to avoid such problems with manual finger checks.

If you haven't automated this fairly basic and universal process, you may
find other opportunities as well for simple 'headache relief'. ;-)

.
.
JO.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company
Electric Dragon Team Paddler
SHARE MVS Program Co-Manager
626-302-7535 Office
323-715-0595 Mobile
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

             "Yukus, Mary J
             CIV USMEPCOM"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                          To
             M.ARMY.MIL>               IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
             Sent by: IBM                                               cc
             Mainframe
             Discussion List                                       Subject
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]         Re: SYSLOG problem
             .EDU>

             04/01/2008 07:00
             AM

             Please respond to
               IBM Mainframe
              Discussion List
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                   .EDU>

Thanks Peter, actually this is normally what happens, (they normally type
"W"
which defaults to CLOSE if it is running )and it is supposed to immediately
open a new one, but because of the circumstances, this time it did not open
the new one. (that was a first for us in the 8 years I've been here that it
didn't open the new one)  That's where our problem began.

We ended up doing a W START followed by a  VARY SYSLOG,HARDCPY,CMDS to
finally get it working.