On Thu, 11 Sep 2008, Patrick O'Keefe wrote:

> Reading between the lines I see you saying "Submit a Requirement
> and justify it."  Maybe that requirement should come from users of
> the tools that currently use the unsupported techniques.   They
> would be the ones hurt when the unsupported techniques fail.
>
> Pat O'Keefe

I agree with you on that. However, being the SOB (Swell Ol' Boy) that I
am, I wonder how well IBM's S/360 & MVT would have faired against the
other vendors' hardware and software if IBM had started OS/360 as "closed
source" and had the attitude of "if you need something, ask us and if you
make a good enough economic argument about how __we__ will make some money
off of it, we'll look at putting in an interface to do that."

Of course, back then it was all about selling the hardware. Software was
an "after thought", so to speak. Today, it is about selling services and
software with the hardware just along for the ride (more or less). I know,
different times, different techniques.

This is why I'm a Linux bigot now. The source is available. Thanks to the
GPL, it will always be available. You want to modify the kernel? Fine,
feel free. "You break it, you bought it!"

BTW - to the person who said that eventually the System z software stack
will likely be on Intel - I doubt it. But, on Power? That might be nice! A
single box, running a hypervisor, and running all the iSeries, pSeries,
and zSeries software on it. <drool>. After, the iSeries runs on Power via
a sort of emulation. If I had an AIX box available to me, I'd love to see
how Hercules/390 (not an optimally performing emulation) runs on it.

--
Q: What do theoretical physicists drink beer from?
A: Ein Stein.

Maranatha!
John McKown