On 26 Sep 2008 09:22:19 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pinnacle)
wrote:

>I just got a new ThinkPad with Microsoft Windows Vista installed.  The
>culture shock has been enough that I felt compelled to post this.  One of
>Conley's Corollaries is that "No PC software upgrade is complete until the
>user interface has been entirely rewritten."  Never was that corollary more
>true than with Windows Vista.  The interface, while visually stunning, bears
>little resemblance to any Windows operating system preceding it.  Standard
>system utilities are completely different, and located in completely
>different places.  THEY TOOK THE MENU BAR!  THE WHOLE F'ING MENU BAR!
>(quick, somebody throw me a fifth of JD).  This change alone is staggering.
>The menu bar has been there for 20 years, and now poof!  It's gone with a
>wave of Bill's mighty hand.  I can't begin to imagine how many BILLIONS, if
>not TRILLIONS of dollars in lost productivity are going to be flushed down
>the toilet when corporations around the world roll out this POS.  And we'll
>all just take it like the lemmings we are.

My only use of Vista is using Remote Desktop to a shared Vista
machine.   Sure it's different, but not as hard to learn as Office
2007.   (I did uninstall the SEARCH feature in my XP Taskbar, and wish
I could do the same with Outlook 2007's "enhanced" search functions).
But I'm not figuring out what you mean by taking the menu bar.   I see
a task bar, and I see my applications' menu bars (which I prefer to
the single menu bar for multiple Macintosh applications).

But I see users moving from 3270 based applications to web based
applications, relearning their processes.   I see printed reports
becoming less common.  (We've eliminated printed bills which is a
great savings).

Things are changing whether we like it or not.   Not all changes make
sense - hopefully this is a time to evaluate which ones do make sense.
And either choose our direction or accept what comes anyway.

We know the future isn't 3270 terminals.