IMO, there are two sides to z/OS Unix adoption story:

1) I think that z/OS Unix literacy amongst z/OS sysprogs is actually
improving.   Between 06 and 08 we taught a SHARE lab "z/OS Tomcat in an
hour" and there was a big improvement in the attendees' comfort with z/OS
Unix in that time.

2) Adoption of z/OS Unix by non-z/OS users is another story.  Although z/OS
does a good job of conforming to POSIX standards, it is weak compared to
other Unix systems in that common open source tools are not available, and
porting is often difficult.  (See the http://oss4zos.org Wiki)

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com