Barbara Nitz wrote:
I am one of those who hate UNIX on z/OS. Here's why:

2. A pain with regard to system controls. a) USS is expected to be exempt from all controls MVS has - look at iefusi and the huge warnings surrounding it if you *DON'T* give a USS address space what it wants! Same holds for other things.

I can understand the reason for those IEFUSI warnings. Java! Also those of us who compile using the C/C++ compiler in USS need a lot of memory because the compiler is a memory hog when optimizing. It's no different when compiling using batch.

b) Try to use WLM on one of those USS applications! We have one that routinely runs around 65 address spaces that all wake up (timer driven) at the same time. Having (at least) 65 tcbs ready to run on 2 cps plays havoc with WLM PI

Please name and shame the application! Sounds like a forker. It's also not uncommon to see Java applications using thread pools with 50 times more threads then cpus. As soon as notifyAll is called the thundering herd comes a running. Most of these problems are due to poor programming practice, not necessarily the environment.

a) Just seen yesterday on WAS V6:

I tried to use the WAS console to install a IVP on our z/800. Response times were several minutes. I guess IBM are building hardware to make it perform (z10) just like they did back in the day for DB2. Didn't DB2 used to be a dog once?

I hate USS because architecturally it does not fit into z/OS. UNIX probably has it uses, but not in z/OS. Just my opinion, of course.

Fair point. It's a software stack not a real kernel. I like USS because I like *nix. I've found it to be very useful for my needs.

Barbara Nitz