On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 13:13:03 +0800, Timothy Sipples wrote:

>You're referring to TSO/E only, which has a 7 character user ID limitation.
>Yes, if you're shopping for TSO/E, maybe that's a strike against TSO/E.
>Also (consequently?) if you're shopping for a Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor
>military fighter aircraft. Its design support and parts database is limited
>to 7 character user IDs, too:
>
>http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/aeronautics/materialmanagement/scm-engineering/scm-emap.html

I suppose that's some kind of endorsement.  The "(consequently?)" may
be significant.

>Fact: Every z/OS licensee receives Tivoli Directory Server for z/OS with
>LDAP. There's no such limit there, and, like TSO/E, it's part of base z/OS.
>If you want N-character user IDs (N>7), go for it. Enjoy.

But do users with such IDs then have access to TSO/E?  And how do
IDs with N>8 play with other components, such as batch?  For
simple examples, what ID is displayed in messages such as IRR010I?
What ID does getpwuid() return as *pw_name?

-- gil