McKown, John wrote:

>Just a guess on my part, but the OP may know that Linux runs natively on many
>hardware systems: i386, x86_64, Power, i, and z.

True, if you can port the source or the compiled object codes to that platform.
The C language is very handy for such porting. (disclaimer - I have NO
experience in such things)

>He may have been wondering if z/OS could also run on multiple architectures.

Hercules for example? But then there is licensing issues. Search the archives.

Unrelated question, now we're on this jolly joyride: Is it true that z/VM can
be run on a Pentium machine? Perhaps as a guest under Linux / Unix or Win7
(Virtual machine)?

Just curious of course.

>Along these lines, "mainframe" does not always mean "IBM z" system. There are
>vendors who consider an Itanium to be a "mainframe". Personally, I liked
>whatever it was they ran in Eureka! "If you can't crawl around inside it, it's
>not a mainframe!"

I like this version: if you can't steal it (hardware), it is a mainframe! ;-)

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht